stuck in a cube

i woke up from a dream to find myself in the middle of a farm of cubicles harvesting the power needed to maintain energy for the corporate establishment...these are my findings...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tampa, Florida, United States

Born and bred a true Floridian. With Chinese/Filipino roots and a touch of the South.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Observation

I received an email forward just now at work, it was a typical FWD concerning religion and comparing it to other aspects of life. I usually do a quick read thru of the email and if it seems worth it i'll read the entire email but if it seems nonsensical i'll delete it. This particular one had a line that caught my attention and the more i read it the more it related to reality and society today.

Isn't it strange how we
believe everything
that magazines and newspapers
say, but we question the words in the
Bible?


That's it. One simple sentence, but its one of those that makes you think. It's damn true, we are trained to believe what we read in magazines and papers and what we see or hear on the news, but we question the words in the bible. I'm not going to go on a tangent about the Bible. I respect people's opinions that the Bible may not be fact but it's still a set of moral stories that we should live life by. But if we question such documents like the bible, but believe the headlines about Iraq and how we're winning, what does that say about us as a society?

Dave Chappelle once said when talking about the controversey with the Dixie Chicks when they expressed their shame for being from the same state as the president, he said "Who cares what the Dixie Chicks think? It's not like their political scientists or anything, they're just couple chicks who can sing good" he then went on to say "Stop worshipping celebrities, I don't even know why people listen to me. I've done commercials for both Pepsi and Coke. You want to know the truth? Can't tell the difference, but Pepsi paid me most recently, so ...taste better"

I agree with him whole heartedly. We shouldn't be worshipping celebrities because they're no more special than any of us. Just because they're on tv more than the next person we're supposed to be captivated by their appearance and believe everything they say? We have to simplify life and if that means living life based on a set of morals from a Book called the Bible, then so be it! Regardles of your belief or religion or stance on politics no one can really argue that the Bible is something you shouldn't live your life by. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe i'm crazy...or maybe i'm right or maybe i make just a little bit of sense. Even that little bit of sense, if it's enough to make a person stop and think than mission accomplished.

That's what that one line from the email forward did to me....it made me think...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home